My Week in Hair

Big on hair? Got questions about it? This is the blog for you. Each week, Big Hair answers your hair questions and shares an incident involving his hair, your hair, or the hair of the person next to you.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Day of Baldness

My mom once said that one never feels one's age except in the bone's. That is, even at sixty, one is twenty-two in one's mind--it is only when trying to run a mile or load a bundle of goods into the trunk of a car that one discovers one's age. The mind is willing, but the flesh has become weak. I would say that the same is in some ways true of baldness. I do not think about not having hair up there atop the head until often it is too late.

Yesterday, I was to work some frisbee golf/ultimate frisbee activity; I was never quite certain what it was. I had at the time that the call for volunteers went out nothing better going on that weekend, and with the activity right where I live, I couldn't justify not helping out. I was also in one of those moods where I felt that my life had so little significance or use that at the very least I could put it to use doing this for some guy that needed volunteers and for a church that wanted some money as a fundraiser.

The activity was in fact within walking distance, and I walked it. I left early, since I wasn't sure how long it would take me. I got to the field by 12:15; I was supposed to be there by 1:00. No one was there, so I sat on a step at the top of football field and realized at the moment that I should have brought a hat. It was sunny, and I was going to be eaten up.

Others arrived, which was a good thing--otherwise, I'd have worried about having shown up at the wrong place, since the main guy in charge never did show up. Apparently, as I found out later, he had had car problems. I moved into the shade. We waited until 1:20; I walked around the facilities for another ten minutes after just to make sure the guy in charge wasn't hiding out somewhere. I was somewhat relieved to avoid the activity, since I thought I would be safe, having spent a large chunk of time in the sun. But after walking home, I had a headache. Looking in the mirror, the reason was clear. I was very red. It seems unfair not to have hair up there; I mean, hair has a purpose, one of which is to protect you from the sun. But alas, I guess I was not made for sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home