My Week in Hair

Big on hair? Got questions about it? This is the blog for you. Each week, Big Hair answers your hair questions and shares an incident involving his hair, your hair, or the hair of the person next to you.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Bowlin Away

A friend of mine describes bowling as twee. It is hard, he says, not to see bowling in an ironic way, even as you participate in it. This I don't quite understand, though I suppose there is a certain kitsch value to it, helped along by movies like Kingpins and The Big Lebowski and by shows like Bowling for Dollars.

Bowlers do have a certain aura about them, I suppose, a certain look we expect--or that I expect. I think bowler, and I think of some overweight bald guy in a bowling shirt. He's someone who, if he were tough enough, would have been in a motorbike gang. Instead, he's a bowler. It's easier, and he gets to drink just as much beer.

But this is, of course, not what bowling is about, and I don't know that I've ever seen such a stereotype at a bowling alley when I've been there. Where, then, does the idea arise? This I don't know.

When I look at the two bowling movies mentioned above, I cannot recall any character fitting this description. In fact, if anything, the some of the bowling characters--in the form of Bill Murray in Kingpins and arguably John Tortillo in Lebowski--seemed consumed with maintaining a neat image. A whole page analyzing Murray's hair in that film could probably be written, if only I had seen the film recently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home